Maui Engagement session tips:
S and B reached out while planning their first trip to Maui. They were recently engaged and in the beginning stages of wedding planning but wanted to take advantage of their trip, plan a little adventure, and take their engagement photos while visiting the Islands.
As a destination wedding photographer, I am often traveling all over the Hawaiian Islands so it was a total treat to photograph S and B at a beach that is right near my home in Napili. S and B made it a point to make their session all about them and even took time to scout the location suggestions I sent their way before the big day. I want to share a few tips and ideas on how you can make the most of your Maui engagement session.
I’ve narrowed down my 5 favorite tips to how to make this day all about you!
1. Pick the right time: A few factors come to mind when helping couples choose a good time for their Hawaii engagement session. First and foremost the light! I’m sure you’ve heard of golden hour and it always makes for soft, flattering light and beautiful sun flares. The fun thing is we get golden hour around sunset and sunrise! Sunrise sessions can be just as amazing as sunset.
A few reasons why I love Maui sunrise sessions:
- The beaches tend to be less crowded in the morning. We may even have the whole beach to ourselves and won’t need to worry about other people walking in the shot.
- It’s calmer. The wind and waves tend to be lighter in the morning before the trade winds pick up.
- If you’re feeling a little nervous about the sessions why not have it all done first thing in the morning? That way you won’t be thinking about it all day and can take off on your next adventure after the session wraps.
2. Find the right location for you: I love helping couples find a location that will not only photograph beautifully but encompasses all the elements that they feel connected to when they envision their perfect Maui engagement session. This is where help from an awesome local Maui photographer can come in really handy (wink, wink). Once I’m booked as your photographer we will go over what backdrop you want for your Maui engagement session and I’ll send over a curated list for you to choose from.
3. Plan for variety: S+B added some variety to their session by bringing an outfit change and some bubbly to celebrate their engagement. Multiple outfits, swimsuits, and props like blankets, surfboards/skateboards, or checking out a couple of locations can bring the perfect amount of variety to your session.
4. Make it your own: What makes you unique as a couple? Do you love adventuring in new places, do you love rock climbing or surfing? Find a fun way to incorporate the hobbies you share into your session. Swim in a waterfall, pack along your favorite celebratory drink or bring along your surfboards. I’m always happy to help brainstorm ideas to help make your Maui engagement session full of fun, and all about you.
5. Consider planning an adventure: Pick a hike like one of these, schedule a sailboat tour, watch the sunrise a Haleakala, or plan to have an amazing pop-up picnic.
Bonus tip! Don’t forget to make some fun plans before or after your session.
There it is! Just a few of my favorite ideas but the possibilities are endless! Remember this shoot is all about YOU so have some fun making it you own!
To start planning your Maui engagement session or your dream Hawaiian wedding or elopement today! Say aloha here. I can’t wait to celebrate with you and document your story!
Check out more sessions from Melinda Burgess Photography
Melinda Burgess is a Maui wedding photographer.